Community Foundation Serving Western Virginia is so appreciative to be part of a compassionate, generous, and resilient community. We know those qualities will ultimately see us through the steadily threatening effects of the world-wide COVID-19 pandemic and the significant disruptions in our economy. But we also must acknowledge that for now we are all suffering and afraid and that those circumstances will likely last for some time to come.
We want you to know that this Coronavirus has reshaped but NOT stopped our important work to support the many communities we serve. We have made adjustments to stay safe. Our team is working remotely except when items critical to our mission require us to come to the office, and during those times our office is closed to ensure best practices regarding social distancing. We have always loved seeing each of you when you dropped by to visit, but now we have to ask you to reach us by phone or email. These new procedures go against our very nature of “connecting good people and good causes” but we know we must do our part for the health and welfare of us all.
Local Grant Opportunities
During times like these, we recognize that organizations need financial resources to meet increased demand and sustain operations. Your Community Foundation will continue to evaluate its grants programs to best meet the needs of organizations during the pandemic. Please read below for information regarding local grant programs:
- Community Foundation Disaster Relief Grants Program – Organizations can apply through a short, simple online application to receive unrestricted funding. We will award grants approximately twice per month. Application opens April 3. Learn more about our COVID-19 Response Grant Program here. Please contact Michelle Eberly should you have any questions.
- United Way of Roanoke Valley COVID-19 Community Response Fund – One of the responses common to many communities has been the creation of a COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund. We are delighted to share that United Way of Roanoke Valley accepted that important role, and we are proud to be a significant donor to the Fund. We encourage you to learn more about the Fund here and support it here. Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to access the online application on eCImpact.
Resources for Nonprofits
- NPO CONNECT Calendar – check periodically for available webinars to help you navigate during these unprecedented times.
- NonProfit Quarterly Cutting through the Jargon: How the CARE Act Works for NonProfits
- National Association of Nonprofits: Nonprofits & COVID-19
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy: COVID-19 Coverage
- Council on Foundations: COVID-19 Resource Fund
- HandsOn Blue Ridge: Update your volunteer needs
- 211Virginia: Update your organization’s information for referrals
A complete list of COVID-19 resources can be found here.